Sunday, April 10, 2011

Journal 13: 10 Must Haves






1) Any form of writing utensil has been the staple of language and art since the beginning of time. Without these nifty little devices we would still be stuck in the stone ages. Although our world has gone digital, we still use them every day.

2) Another must have item is the light bulb. as humans, we have a natural distaste for the dark. To think of a world without the light bulb would be rather hard to imagine these days. I mean, we even use them when it it daylight outside.

3) Ah yes, my favorite invention of all time: the camera. Since I first picked one up I have been amazed by these things. As I grew up, my fascination with cameras expanded. If my DSLR was a bit more practical, or my point and shoot was better, I would go nowhere without a camera.

4) It must be 2011 because I cannot live without this damn thing. Not that I am a text-a-holic but because of everything else it is capable of doing. With access to the internet at any given time it is like carrying a dictionary, encyclopedia, phone book, map, translator, camera, calendar, calculator, etc. with you at all times. A web connected cell phone is like having all of the knowledge of the world in your pocket waiting to be used at a minutes notice. It also makes phone calls too, which I guess is pretty cool!

5) This thing is my baby. I absolutely love to drive! Although I do not get to do as much driving up here in Flagstaff, the car is something that has allowed me to move up here in the first place. The invention of the automobile brought the country together very quickly. It enables us to travel our own directions and at our own leisure. The car is a staple in the founding of American culture.

6) I am not sure how I would live without my Post-It notes. These little things keep me in check at all times. Whether it is a to-do list, homework for the week, or some even that I need to remember, these guys never let me forget.

7) There is really know concise way of explaining why the computer is so amazing. Instant access to any information you could possibly ever need, the digital storage of media which used to be analog, and the digital rendering of media are among the main reasons the computer have influenced my life. As an inspiring graphic designer and photographer, the computer in the most essential tool I can have at my disposal.

8) As a student, the jump drive has become something I cannot live without. It allows me to take my in class work back to my computer and vise versa. It greatly increases the speed at which I can get my projects done. Also, it is a good way to keep back ups of all my work.

9) Another invention a student can not go without is the printer. This allows us to turn our digital media back into a form of analog media which is the best way to have a hard copy. As a graphic design major this is another essential tool to have as many times we are required to create print advertisements, menus, flyers, posters, etc.

10) Many people have agreed that duct tape is one of the greatest intentions and I must agree. If almost any of the previous items were to break, chances are duct tape could help solve the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment